As the Super Bowl gets closer, I’m getting my menu and my game day recipes ready. As I’m working my party plans, I’m thinking about what I want to eat, who I’m feeding, and even what I don’t want to make. I guess people watch the Super Bowl for the game, maybe even the commercials…but me? I’m here for the food. I’m all about that life on Super Bowl Sunday.
I was thinking I wanted chicken but I wanted to step outside of the obvious wing platter. I co-authored a great wing book called #ChicksWingIt with Dawn, of Mama Harris’ Kitchen if you need some fantastic wing recipes for your party. So don’t get me wrong, my personal opinion is that chicken wings are a game day necessity, I just like to have variety. This crunchy Buffalo Ranch Popcorn Chicken was the perfect option! You can serve them on a platter or get creative and serve them in some cute game day party bags for snacking.
- 1lb. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut in cubes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 3/4c. All Purpose Flour
- 1/2c. Cornstarch
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. Louisiana Hot Wing Sauce
- 1c. Buttermilk
- 3/4c. Cool Ranch Doritos, crushed
- 3/4c. Panko Breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
- Clean chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Give the chicken a dash or two of hot sauce. (Optional)
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, egg, wing sauce, and buttermilk until the batter is really smooth. Give it a shake of salt and pepper.
- Heat oil to medium heat in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed skillet.
- In a separate bowl mix breadcrumbs and crushed chips together. The crushed chips should be similar in size to the breadcrumbs. Put in a ziptop bag and crush them more if necessary.
- Toss the chicken in wet batter and roll in breadcrumb mixture. Make sure pieces are evenly coated. I recommend lining them on a baking sheet until you are ready to fry because you are going to fry in batches. Just a few pieces at a time.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes until done. You may have to turn them at the halfway point if you’re using a skillet instead of a deep fryer.
- Place on a paper towel to catch excess grease. Serve immediately with ranch dressing!
- If you’re feeling fancy toss the cooked ones 1/4c. of the Buffalo Hot Wing Sauce before serving. Enjoy!
What’s your favorite thing to eat at a Super Bowl party?