I am SO excited about Spring! I have been freezing my little tush off in Atlanta, so with weather in the 70’s for the past week, I am singing like a birdie. I’m trying to figure our how to get back to Charleston for my birthday, my eldest is having a birthday, and we are getting ready for a great spring break. SPRING HAS SPRUNG!
The kids and I made some tropical birdie nest cupcakes last week, and now butterflies! Seriously, what’s better than cupcakes to celebrate spring? I love to make them. Baking is my happy place and I had been kind of sad that I hadn’t had a chance to do much baking lately. So I had fun making these. I baked a few more, maybe I will share those next week. In my mind, I really wanted these to be more purple than they turned out, but I think the cocoa powder in them made them so dark. I will try another idea I had to brighten them next time. They were delicious though! The kiddos were here for the butterflies.
- 1/2c. Unsalted Butter
- 1 1/2c. Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2t. Vanilla Extract
- 2.5c. All purpose flour
- 2T Cocoa Powder
- 1t. Salt
- 2t. Red Food Coloring
- 1T. Blue Food Coloring
- 1c. Buttermilk
- 1t. Baking Soda
- 1T. White Wine Vinegar
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
- 8oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 2c. Powdered Sugar
- 1tsp. Vanilla Extract
- M&Ms Pretzels
- Chocolate Covered Pretzels
- Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add one egg at a time mixing well, then vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add food coloring, buttermilk, baking soda,and vinegar to butter and sugar.
- Alternate adding the flour and Buttermilk mixture until smooth and combined.
- Pour into prepared cupcake pan for 16-18 minutes on 350.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, in a separate bowl, mix butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add in food coloring, for the lavender I did 8 drops of blue and 3 red. Mix well. Pipe onto cupcakes.
- For the Butterflies:
- line 3 M&Ms in a row on each cupcake. Place 2 chocolate pretzels on each side of the M&Ms for the wings. Do this for each cupcake.
Are you excited about Spring?