My husband LOVES mushroom rice. Apparently its something he grew up eating as a child and he has just always loved. His aunt makes it, his sister makes it, everyone makes it…except his wife. I think in my mind I thought it was just one of those things that he loves for them to make, so why even try?
Well family, I quickly found out that it’s not about that at all. Sometimes men are no different than women in the regard that they just want to be considered, thought about, shown that you gave it some effort. So I made ol’ Buckaroo some mushroom rice. I did it my way, and he loved it. It wasn’t his his aunt’s, or his sister’s, it was mine. Just the fact that I thought enough of him to make something he loves so much ‘out of the blue’ like that let him know that I do listen, he is on my mind, and I do care about the little things that make him happy. Y’all know I got mad brownie points for this one right?! I got ten more brownie points because it was slammin’! It was sooo good! It made me a little salty that I hadn’t been introduced to it long before now.
Herb & Mushroom Rice
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 Tbps. Olive Oil
½ tsp. Minced Garlic
3 Sprigs of Fresh Thyme
8oz. Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
2 c. Long Grain Rice, uncooked
1 envelope of Lipton Onion & Mushroom Soup Mix
4 c. Water
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, on medium heat, saute onion in olive oil until soft. Add minced garlic and thyme and cook for about two more minutes, until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms, and allow mushrooms to cook down. They will absorb most of the oil and flavor from the pan. Add uncooked rice and stir just enough to combine everything. Make sure the rice gets covered in all of that flavor.
- In a bowl mix water and soup mix envelope and add to pan. Bring to a boil. Taste a little bit of the water with a clean spoon, and add your salt and/or pepper if desired now. Once all of the liquid cooks out it will be too late.
- Cover your pan with a tight lid and turn your heat down to simmer. Let it simmer for 20 minutes. NO PEEKING!! That’s the secret to great rice. Let it cook! I have clear lid on my pot so I can see when it’s done.
- Remove rice from heat. Remove the thyme stems. Fluff it, and serve!
What’s your Chewsy Lover’s favorite dish? You should make it for them this week!