Leeks are an underrated vegetable, and I think that’s because most people don’t know how to prepare them. I was introduced to leeks at my first cooking job. We had a completely scratch kitchen so every vegetable, bread, dish had to be prepared by us in the kitchen. I honestly had never even heard of a leek until I started working there, but I’ve been hooked ever since. I’m a simple guy. It doesn’t take much to please me. My favorite meals are simple foods done right and I think that’s why I like leeks so much. It doesn’t take much to make them. They’re really easy, but really good. I added cabbage to this recipe just to beef it up some and it came out really good.
The first thing you want to do is thoroughly wash the leeks. They typically come with dirt on them and stuck in them because of the way they are shaped. Typically, people wash them first and cut them second, but I like to do it the other way around. It’s easier to get all of the dirt when you cut them first.
HOW TO WASH LEEKS:
- Take a sharp knife and trim the bottom off. Then thinly slice leeks in 1/4-1/2 inch slices up to where the leaves starts to separate. You can reserve that part for another dish, or discard it.
- Place leek rings in a clean bowl and separate the rings with your fingers.
- Run the leeks under cool water and gently brush through them with your hand rinsing the dirt off in the sink.
- Pour the water off the leeks and pat the excess water with a paper towel. They’re ready to be cooked.
- 1Tbsp .Olive Oil
- 4oz. Pancetta, diced
- 4 Leeks, cleaned
- 1/4 Red Cabbage, thinly sliced
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- **You can substitute pancetta for bacon, turkey bacon or any smoked meat. Or you don’t have to add meat at all, add an additional tablespoon of oil.**
- In a sauté pan on medium heat, add oil and pancetta. Do not turn them over for a minute or two. You want them to get crisp.
- Turn them and crisp the other side.
- Once the pancetta is crisp, add the cabbage and the leeks.
- Saute for 5 min.
- Remove from heat and serve.
- **If you use pancetta, you will not need salt. It is a very salty meat.**
Until Next Time,