We’re baaaaaaaack! Its officially been one week since Designers Collective and Chewsy Lovers launched the #HappyKitchenProject. Some of your favorite posts have been the DIY Ombre Tea Towels and How to Clean Your Kitchen. If you missed any of last week’s posts you can catch them here. Over the weekend we learned about how incorporating art can brighten up the mood of your kitchen.
Today I’m going to share what I like to call “Quicker Fixer Uppers.” These are little changes you can do to make your kitchen happy and inviting. Sometimes, people get intimidated about making changes to the kitchen. Maybe its that your kitchen is small. Maybe you are renting and not allowed to paint the walls. Maybe you have an awesome, large kitchen and you just don’t have time for a kitchen overhaul.
No excuses. You can do SOMETHING to infuse some happy feelings into your kitchen that aren’t labor intensive, won’t cost you an “arm and a leg,” and won’t take all day.
Just like in life you have to take pleasure in the little things to really savor a happy life. The same with your kitchen. Sometimes the smallest adjustments can really make a difference in the kitchen.
1. Change the Knobs On Cabinets. You can find bright colors, odd shapes, fancy designs you name it. This can be as cheap as a $25 fix and you can really wake up your cabinets and kitchen with something that reflects your personality.
2. Add a wall hanging like a photo you love, or a kitchen saying. My grandmother loved roosters. She had a huge framed puzzle of a rooster, and a shelf going along the top of the kitchen that had a bunch of brightly colored, and uniquely shaped rooster figurines of different sizes. They made her happy.
3. Use Fresh Flowers. A quick trip to the local florist or even the floral section in the grocery store can be an instant pick me up and add some happy smells to your kitchen.
4. A cute or fun apron. Y’all know I LIVE for a cute apron honey! I’m always in the mood to whip up a happy meal when I have a cute apron on.
5. Decorate the counter. This does not mean CLUTTER. I mean bright counter appliances, a cookie jar, or timer. I have a teal dutch oven that sits on my stove. I don’t care if there isn’t any food cooking in it at the time. Thats where it lives. Just seeing it sitting there makes me happy.
6. Window Treatments are another great quick fix. I LOVE polka dots. So what did I make for my kitchen? Polka dot curtains!! A fabric store run and a few dollars gave my old frumpy kitchen just the pick me up it needed. You can also find fairly inexpensive curtains at places like Target, HomeGoods, or Walmart if sewing isn’t your thing.
7. A comfy mat. If you cook often like I do, a nice ergonomic mat to stand on while you cook or do dishes will make your feet so happy! Happy feet, mean a happy kitchen, and happy kitchens make happy meals and happy families!
8. Display the goodies!! Bake a cake or cookies and put them in a display case on the counter where they can be admired…and eaten! This was another page I snatched from my granny’s book. Whenever she made baked treats she had the most beautiful covered dishes to put them in on the counter. It was almost like you would see at a bakery! You also can put fresh fruit like apples and oranges in a decorative bowl or of you do pickling and preserving display those beautiful jars if you have the space. I saw this in IKEA’s new catalog and loved it.
9. TURNIP THE BEET! That’s right turn up the beat! Few things put me in a happier mood than music. I love to cook and listen to music. There is something so soothing about it. Make a playlist of songs that put you in a happy mood and whenever you need a boost in the kitchen play it! We have a playlist for everything. Even when we want to barbecue!
Tomorrow we are headed back to Tina and Brooke at Designers Collective for more Happy Kitchen fun. Follow us on Instagram @designerscollective_ and @chewsylovers to stay in the loop and tag using the #HappyKitchenProject to share your kitchen photos with us!
Jams and Jammin’,